Swedish Poet Wins Nobel Prize->Tomas Tranströmer’s bleak, YET powerful work explores themes of nature, isolation, identity~sb http://nyti.ms/qZugim #SCRIBAL @nytimes
A sudden chill, from a great distance, meets me.
The moment blackens
and remains like an axe-cut in a tree-trunk.
~ Tranströmer’s “Winter’s Gaze”
Weary of all who come with words, words but no language
I make my way to the snow-covered island.
The untamed has no words.
The unwritten pages spread out on every side!
I come upon the tracks of deer in the snow.
Language but no words.
• Translated from the Swedish by Robin Fulton from New Collected Poems, translated by Robin Fulton (Bloodaxe Books, 2011)
- Literature Nobel Goes To Swedish Poet Tomas Transtromer (npr.org)
- LIVE: Nobel Prize For Literature 2011 Announcement (huffingtonpost.com)
- Tomas Tranströmer: Tracks (guardian.co.uk)
- Tomas Tranströmer: From March 1979 (guardian.co.uk)
- Tomas Transtromer wins Nobel Prize in Literature (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Swedish poet wins Nobel in literature (cbsnews.com)
- Nobel Prize for Literature 2011 won by Tomas Tranströmer (telegraph.co.uk)
- Tomas Tranströmer: Alone (guardian.co.uk)